The George & Barbara Fell Award
The award is named for George and Barbara Fell who founded the Natural Land Institute in 1958 and devoted their lives to the protection of natural areas in Illinois. They were committed to protecting Illinois’ natural heritage so rare and endangered plant and animal species would be here for future generations.
The date for the presentation of the 2021 land conservation award is to be determined.
Nominating Guidelines and Application
Nomination Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021
To learn more about the nominating guidelines and to request a nomination form for the 2021 award in a WORD document send a request to Kim at email@example.com. Or download the application in a PDF file here: 2021 revised_G and B Fell Award Nom Form
The George and Barbara Fell Award recognizes…
- Accomplishments that have significantly advanced natural area preservation, protection, management and restoration in northern Illinois.
- Work in any area of activity (natural resource management, education, journalism, law, science) applied to stewardship of natural areas, restoration of natural areas, and the protection and understanding of natural diversity.
- The best qualities of land conservationists, the qualities exemplified by George and Barbara Fell through their lifelong dedication to the protection of natural areas.
This is an opportunity to give recognition to an individual who has demonstrated distinguished achievement during an entire career or a volunteer who has embodied the values and commitment of the Fells.
Past recipients of the George and Barbara Fell Award
- 2020 – Don Miller (Rockford, Illinois)
- 2019 – Steve and June Keibler (Dundee, Illinois)
- 2018 – Debra Carey (Dixon, Illinois)
- 2017 – George and Marilyn Johnson (Madison, Wisconsin)
- 2016 – John White (Urbana, Illinois)
- 2015 – Randy Nyboer (Morrison, Illinois)
- 2014 – Dave and Nancy Voss (Rockford, Illinois)
- 2013 – Jerry Paulson (Caledonia, Illinois)
- 2012 – Judith (Judy) McCleary (Roscoe, Illinois)
- 2011 – Richard and Karen Gadke (Capron, Illinois)
- 2010 – Nancy Hamill Winter (Stockton, Illinois)
- 2009 – William Howenstine (McHenry, Illinois)
- 2008 – Russell Johansson (Rockford, Illinois)
- 2007 – Dr. Richard Newsome (Beloit, Wisconsin)
- 2006 – Lee Johnson (Shirland, Illinois)
- 2004 – Mark Keister (Winslow, Illinois)
- 2003 – Tim Keller (Sterling, Illinois)
- 2002 – Mary B. Bushnell (Stillman Valley, Illinois)
- 2001 – Jack and Joyce Armstrong (Rockford, Illinois)
- 2000 – Keith and Mary Blackmore (Forreston, Illinois)
- 1999 – Bruce Ross-Shannon (Rockford, Illinois)
- 1998 – Dorothy Wade (Oregon, Illinois)
- 1997 – Barbara Fell (Rockford, Illinois)